Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The assignment this week was to develop a lesson plan for my content area.  One of my main reasons for taking ed classes is to be able to develop an instructor development course to help law enforcement trainers.  As this is my first education class, this is a little early, but I’ll give it a shot. 

Title:
There’s more to training than being a subject matter expert

Target Audience:
Law Enforcement Trainers – Instructor development does not tend to be a priority for many trainers.  This course is designed for those wishing to become better instructors, but lack the time for long classes requiring a significant time and monetary commitments.

Learning Objectives:
Trainers should be able to:
  • Identify core principles of adult learning including understanding motivation
  •  Identify types of adult learning and ways to incorporate all learning style
  • Understand that adults learn best when they can draw from the experiences of peers
  • Situations and scenarios should be designed to mirror real life
  • Develop and present a training course to peers

Teaching Materials Needed:
Provide handouts explaining adult learning motivators and learning styles.  Provide paper and allow time for class participation to brainstorm ways to make training interactive and encourage creative ideas for encompassing all learning styles.
Provide a class roster with phone numbers and E-mails for group work that will take place outside of the class.
Students will need to provide their own computer with Internet connection for the portions of class that are not ‘on-site’.

Outline:
Trainers will start in a classroom environment for two days of on-site classes.  These days will be spent familiarizing trainers with adult learning strategies, technology requirements for online portions of the class, and most importantly the trainers will be required to get to know each other (especially selected learning groups).  Lunch will be provided and taken in a group atmosphere.

Take home assignment: After the completion of the second day, trainers will be required to start developing a 10 minute training presentation.  They will develop this presentation using a wiki program which all students will have access to.  Each trainer will have been assigned to a small group and they will assist each other in developing their training program.  Group members will review each other’s ideas to provide feedback and ideas.  Trainers will be encouraged to review projects outside of their group, but it will not be required.  (The instructor will be active on all wkis.)

Trainers will meet for a third and final on-site class where they will present an interactive portion of their developed programs to their peers.  Peers will be required to evaluate the presentations in several categories including:
  • ·         Interactivity
  • ·         Ease of understanding
  • ·         Adult learning strategies used

The evaluations will be done outside of the learning groups (Learning group A will evaluate learning group B and so on).  Evaluations will be based on the submitted lesson plan and the presentation; however, evaluators will take into account the limited presentation time allowed.

Evaluation:
Individuals will be evaluated in several areas.
  • ·         The amount and quality of feedback given on wiki assignments
  • ·         Adult learning principles applied to peer evaluations
  • ·         Thoroughness of written lesson plan
  • ·         Inclusion of different learning styles
  • ·         Group interaction (polite, involved, etc…)

Roy,

13 comments:

  1. Hi Roy,
    This is the first time I have been assigned to your blog group and I have enjoyed catching up on your postings. For someone with no experience in lesson plans, I think you did a great job outlining your workshop. Of course, I don't have lesson plan experience either, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I like the title of your class and how it immediatly sets the focus for the training. You have clearly thought out your learning objectives with the lessons we have from adult learning theory. I also think you did a good job of including exercises that take advantage of constructivist theory and contextual teaching methods (West and West, 2009 p 22) by giving trainers the opportunity to learn from each other and associate that learning to their own practice, scaffolding their knowledge to develop deeper understanding. Including lunch as a group activity is a great idea to encourage informal social learning and community building, which will accelerate trust, encouraging more personal exchanges which may lead to a community of practice after the workshop is complete. Great job!

    West, J. and West, M (2009). Using Wikis for Online Collaboration. Jossey-Bass. San Francisco, CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Vianne. I have given this some thought as bringing instructor develop into the law enforcement profession is one of my goals.

      Roy,

      Delete
  2. Hi Roy,
    Great idea here to apply this to real work. However, I think your topic is a little too broad. I think it would be difficult to put it 'adult motivation' into a 2 day familiarization along with other adult learning strategies.
    I am currently finishing up my adult motivation class, face to face, and I think the amount of information I have to read and synthesize regarding adult learning and motivation is way too much for even this 6 week class. I am feeling quite overwhelmed at the moment.

    My point being, I think if you fined tuned your topic to a smaller piece of the mountain for this subject for the purposes of this lesson plan, you would have more success.

    Perhaps you could zero in on a singular topic like one of Pratt's 5 perspectives (Pratt & Assoc, 1998) on teaching. Find one that fits the style you are going for and focus on that, or have every group complete a wiki on one of the 5 perspectives.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Reference:
    Pratt, D.D. & Associates. (1998). Five Perspectives on Teaching in Adult and Higher Education. Malabar, FL: Kreiger Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    Thank you for the post.

    I agree that it is a lot of information. I am torn between the information that needs to be presented, the time that law enforcement is going to devote to instructor development (I doubt much), and allowing instructors to actually build something 'real world'.

    Another problem that I face is that this is my first adult ed class, so I am really not that familiar with the in depth aspects of adult learning....yet! (Pretty much everything I know came from 'The Professor's Guide to Taming Technology'.)

    I liked your idea of having each group complete a wiki on one of the 5 perspectives. Hopefully, by the time I complete my courses, I will have had lots of good ideas from those of you more experienced in this field. :-)

    Roy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have my 'aha moment' after the course ends because the class is usually information overload in such a short period of time for me.

      If possible, get your books electronically, especially your research methods class. Just sayin from experience.

      Stay motivated! You'll enjoy the ride at K-state. Its a journey, for sure.
      How about those wild cats last night!! ?

      Delete
    2. Don't know much about Wildcats, but I am extremely happy the Chiefs finally got one. :-)

      I have never gotten an electronic textbook. Do you get them from Amazon (which is where I usually get textbooks)? I have trouble reading on a computer and generally print things. But a book would probably be nice so that I could bookmark and search pages.

      Thanks for the info.

      Roy,

      Delete
    3. I have used 2 books so far with Nook (through Barnes & Noble) and I like it aLOT I highly recommend using the Nook Study (download for free and use on your laptop) for Research Methods Course, if possible. Good Luck, and you better be watching those K-State Wildcats, they are WINNING!

      Delete
  4. Roy,
    You are not alone in trying to figure out how to narrow and adjust the amount of info in a course. As Katie said there are instructors in traditional and online courses that have the same problem. The challenge of breadth vs. depth is a problem not only in college courses but in most training. Many courses and instructors do not get it figured out until they actually run the course with students. This is especially challenging when you have a broad spectrum that you are teaching to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TX, thanks for the pep talk. It is an issue with the training that I am wanting to start. I don't think that I need to go into too much detail on many of the concepts, just enough so that the trainers understand some basics of adult education. I am surprised at the number of trainers that don't seem to understand that adults don't want you to put up ppt slides and read to them.

    Roy,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roy,,

    I found your lesson plan intriguing for several reasons. For one thing, it is very ambitious and would require a lot of commitment from instructor and students, but this is because it is such a sincere and earnest attempt to address a concern of obvious importance and application to your real-world situation.

    Also, your desire to find a way to use a wiki in your context stimulated you to come up with a project that doesn’t easily shoehorn into one of West and West’s (2009) examples of wiki projects for knowledge construction as listed on page 60. Of those examples, I suppose your plan most closely resembles a group summary since it requires the trainees to incorporate the concepts of adult learning into their own training courses and in this way gauges their comprehension of these principles.

    Your project also exhibits some of the characteristics of West and West’s wiki projects for contextual application (Chapter Five), almost approaching a service learning project. In this regard, it reminded me of the three components of Kearsley and Schneiderman’s (1999) Engagement Theory since it leads the trainees through a process of relating, creating, and donating as collaborative teams “on ambitious projects that are meaningful to someone outside the classroom” (para. 4).

    I hope you’ll be able to successfully apply something like this in your law enforcement work.

    KSU Cuz

    References

    Kearsley, G., & Schneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

    West, J. A., & West, M. L. (2009). Using wikis for online collaboration: The power of the read-write Web. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cuz, thanks for the post.

    I have not spent as much time with West & West as I would have liked (bare minumum on the reading thus far). I am planning on getting more in depth in it over the next day or so. I will certainly look up the pages that you referenced.

    To be honest, until this class, I had never heard of a wiki as anything other than wikipedia. This assignment was the first time I had ever thought of using it.

    Roy,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roy, great job outlining the expectations for the course. I just read your previous comment, and am especially impressed that you have never had any prior wiki experience. What I really liked is that you are using the wiki as a place to collaborate, and I really like that you are using what West & West (2009) referred to as scaffolding, by providing some on-sight training and guidance prior to utilizing the wiki. As an aside, I also really like that you are providing lunch, because I love food!

    West, J. A., & West, M. L. (2009). Using wikis for online collaboration: The power of the read-write Web. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input. I also love food, especially when someone else is buying. ;-)

      I have noticed in the many training courses that I have gone to that instructors tend to spend time on team building. Then, after the team exercises, everyone does lunch on their own. What a wasted opportunity.

      Roy,

      Delete