Tuesday, September 4, 2012



Here’s to hoping I can disagree with technology!

I tried my best to dive into this reading with an open mind.  I have never had much use for blogging, in fact, my opinion about blogging was summed up well in the movie ‘Easy A’: "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought...but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds. "Roman is having an OK day, and bought a Coke Zero at the gas station. Raise the roof..."  However, since I have had limited (take that to mean no) experience with blogs, maybe this semester will change my mind; unfortunately, this weeks readings didn't.

On pages 16 & 17 of Blogs as a Learning Space: Creating Text of Talks’, Prof. Santos describes the three concepts of the engagement theory: “Relate-Create-Donate”.  As we have all read them, I will not repeat each concept, but  I will state that I agree with those concepts.  In fact, I believe that all of readings made good points about the effectiveness of blog style writing.  I believe that allowing students to share ideas and have open discussions about the material is an invaluable tool.  I agree with Jo Ann Oravec who stated on page 618 of her article, ‘Bookmarking the World: Weblog applications in education’ that “Weblog development can empower students to become more analytical and critical…”  So now you may be asking, ‘if you agree with all of this, what’s your problem with the weblog?’

Ok, I do agree with much of what was said in the readings about the effectiveness of blogging, but I ask this question; is the blog the most effective way of achieving those concepts?

The second question asked was in regards to a blog being the same thing as a bulletin board.   Initially I thought they were the same, but as I read about blogs, I came to realize that they are very different.  In chapter 6 of ‘The Professor’s Guide to Taming Technology’, Teresa Carter points out some of the differences that lead me to believe that a bulletin board is a better place for the learning that Prof. Santos wrote on.

The first difference that I noted was on page 91 where Ms. Carter states that “[blogs] can be as distinctive as each author…”  While is certainly a big benefit to blogs in the ‘real world’; however, in a class of twenty students, I have twenty blogs to read through which are all in different colors and different arrangements.

Another comment that I took note of was on page 93 where Ms. Carter discusses the instructor being able to gauge how course material is being comprehended and being able to see the connections that students are making.  I believe that students should be free to discuss ideas, have conversations, and make mistakes free of concern from how current or future employers may take the information.  Blogs are public, whereas the school’s bulletin board is a private forum open only to those in the class and school staff.

Well, for those of you still here, I thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.

Roy,

6 comments:

  1. Hi Roy,

    Like you, I wonder if blogs are really better than class discussion boards for achieving the kind of critically reflective writing expected of graduate students (Carter, 2011). Carter says that blogs stimulate deeper, more engaged reading and writing because students know their blog entries will be read and commented on by classmates, but aren’t we doing this already in our class discussion boards? Personally, I’ve been very impressed by the quality of the discussions in all of my K-State graduate classes.

    To get some additional perspectives on this question of what makes blogs different, I looked for ideas in some other pertinent articles. Williams and Jacobs (2004) basically restate Carter’s claim by highlighting how blogs naturally support “the discursive nature of knowledge construction” (“Academic literature on blogging, “ para. 4) because the reader feedback that is built into blog design encourages critical thinking. They add another good point, though, when they say that the use of hyperlinks to related content encourages deeper learning from repeated encounters with the topic in different contexts. I suppose we are more likely to encounter hyperlinks and other media in blogs than in most class discussion boards (this is the first class I’ve taken where there has been so much hyperlinking and media in the discussion boards, probably because the class focuses on such technologies).

    Sevelj (2006) says that blogs encourage “more spontaneity and informality in the writing style” (p. 12). I think I agree with this statement just from reading the class blogs so far. To a greater or lesser degree, we seem to be less academic and more creative. If we can do this and still achieve the desired reflection, analysis, and learning in what is perhaps a more enjoyable and personal media, that’s a good motivator.

    The jury’s still out, but there might be some added value to blogging above and beyond the class discussion board.

    Cheers,
    KSU Cuz

    References

    Carter, T. J. (2011). Blogging as reflective practice in the graduate classroom. In K. P. King & T. D. Cox (Eds.), The professor’s guide to taming technology: Leveraging digital media, Web 2.0, and more for learning (pp. 89-104). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.

    Sevelj, M. (2006, July). Weblogs as dynamic learning spaces. Paper presented at The Distance Education Association of New Zealand Biennial Conference, Auckland, New Zealand. Retrieved from http://grail.oise.utoronto.ca/blog/karaisko/files/2007/12 /weblogs_dynamic_learning_spaces.pdf

    Williams, J. B., & Jacobs, J. (2004). Exploring the use of blogs as learning spaces in the higher education sector. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 20, 232-247. Retrieved from http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet20/williams.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuz, thanks for your reply.

    You stated that you have noticed blogs are a little less formal, but I will ask, is this a good thing? Particularly with the generation growing up today with the informalities of texting and email.

    I am not sure if schools should seek out ways to make communication less formal since many younger adults don't get much practice with the formal writing that may be required of them later in their chosen careers.

    Roy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy,

      Again, good question and a valid concern. However, I don’t see any harm in incorporating blogging in appropriate courses to take advantage of the many benefits our various readings about edublogs have mentioned, such as stimulating collaborative learning (Carter, 2011), encouraging autonomy, voice and analytical thinking (Oravec, 2002), and motivating students to write more than they might otherwise (Santos, 2011; Witte, 2007).

      I’m enjoying the blogging experience so far. While not quite as uninhibited and self-revelatory, it reminds me of journaling. In Dr. Fishback’s EDACE 790 course, we kept journals that were only shared with the professor. I found this very liberating personally, and I wrote much more freely than usual, just letting thoughts develop on paper and dealing with emotions and ideas I wouldn’t normally share in a more public forum. At the end of the term, we had to write a paper summarizing the major themes about adult learning that we could glean from our journals. Interestingly, a close reading of my journal revealed some great thinking and writing about learning theories and experiences, which I then presented formally in a very satisfying paper.

      The point I’m making is that formal writing doesn’t have to suffer due to introducing journaling or blogging in a class if the instructor effectively combines different writing activities – formal and less formal – to draw on the strengths and effects of each mode of expression.

      KSU Cuz

      References

      Carter, T. J. (2011). Blogging as reflective practice in the graduate classroom. In K. P. King & T. D. Cox (Eds.), The professor’s guide to taming technology: Leveraging digital media, Web 2.0, and more for learning (pp. 89-104). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.

      Oravec, J. A. (2002). Bookmarking the world: Weblog applications in education. Journal of Adolescent &Adult Literacy, 45, 616-621. Retrieved from http://www.proquest.com/

      Santos, A. N. E. (2011). Blogs as a learning space: Creating text of talks. Contemporary Issues in Education Research, 4(6), 15-20. Retrieved from http://journals.cluteonline.com /index.php/CIER/

      Witte, S. (2007). “That’s online writing, not boring school writing”: Writing with blogs and the Talkback Project. Journal of Adolescent &Adult Literacy, 51, 92-96. doi:10.1598/JAAL.51.2.1

      Delete
    2. I had a similar experience with one of my courses...it might have actually been the same. I enjoy keeping a journal and writing down my thoughts, but I so often end up not keeping up on them because of other conflicts in time...or to be honest...general laziness/procrastination. I studied abroad in Spain as an undergrad and I kept a journal. I'm so glad I did and was disciplined about it because I go back and read through some of my entries and am reminded of very subtle things I had forgotten. I remember visiting a certain cathedral, for example, but I had forgotten what I was feeling/dealing with emotionally at the time. I can then reflect on how I handled myself or got through something and draw upon that experience in a positive manner. Reminds me of George Santayana's infamous quote: "Those
      who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

      Delete
  3. Roy,

    You have touched on a key point that I bring up often when talking to audiences of all ages. How much information is to much information? If I were every to become a burglar I think I would "case houses" by watching/friending people via Facebook and just waiting for them to be on vacation to break in! It can get very cluttered and frustrating if you have very many "gabby" friends on your Facebook as well! But since I use mine very limitedly, it is not such an issue.

    I like that you brought up the article by Oravec that there is empowerment from blogging. I think that the use of a blog in the right setting can let a student do many things that a normal discussion board may not allow. We saw several people have issues with the size limit of KSOL when we did introductions. In a blog, this may not have came up. Yes, we can all easily link out, but direct uploads are nice. Also, it is easier to follow a students thoughts from start of class to the end of class on a blog, since it is self contained and linear.

    With that said, I find that I would prefer, generally, to use the discussion board of the class for most of what we are doing here on the blogs. I like the minimalist aspect and not concerned about seeing how someone may decorate their page! Unless it is an actual part of the project, I see it as being a bit distracting. For an introduction, a great tool, as a weekly thing? Not so much.

    Unlike you, I have never found journaling to be a positive experience for me personally. But, I do have a few friends who have told me they use it often and find it not only helpful, but relaxing as well.

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was interesting how you describe blogs, in the beginnig, because most blogs are not the mundane necessarily. I read some twenty to thirty blogs regularly. Usually they are about something, fashion, make up, home decorating, and stuff that makes me laugh mostly. However, most of those writers do it professionally and get significant money from adds!
    Blogs, espically personal ones, can be very relaxed in nature. Threaded discussion I find that I answer questions more in essay format, where blogging can be more informal and I feel I can write more.

    ReplyDelete